Monday, September 29, 2008

Return of SpiderMouse

It's been awhile, but I think that the infamous SpiderMouse has returned.
Last April, I discovered that I was unwittingly rooming with a rather disagreeable roommate. You know, the kind of roommate that never cleans up after themselves, rifles through your things, and keeps much different hours than you do. But, since I wasn't sure whether it was my imagination or not, I let it go. It is true - I suspected that I was rooming with a mouse. No visual contact had been made, but still, that nagging feeling of being watched all the time was starting to get to me. I didn't really want to put up a ton of mouse traps all over my room that would more than likely catch my toe or finger rather than what it was supposed to catch. So, I didn't and instead shoved away that annoying feeling that something of mine was being nibbled to death at that very second.
One morning, I was rudely awakened by a distinct rustling. Now, I had just returned from a very long day at Disney World, and was sleeping in (rarity of all rarities!). Thinking it must have been dillusions of a sleepy mind, I rolled over, threw a pillow over my head and tried to go back to sleep. But yet, another rustle. I was becoming more and more sure that I was experiencing a close encounter of the rodent kind, but was not yet positive. Instead of ignoring it, I sat silently, straining my ears to catch even the slightest noise. I didn't wait long. There was most definitely a rustle in my closet.
Tiptoeing over the closet, I silently slid open the door and stared at the floor. Nothing. Thinking it nigh impossible that such a size-challenged deliquent could be on the shelf of my closet (after all, it is a good 6 ft. from the floor), I nonetheless began gingerly moving things about. There was suddenly a quick scurry and then silence. Impossible, I confidently assured myself - and pulled aside my clothes.
There, standing on a very vertical wall, SpiderMan-style, was my most unwelcome and uninvited roommate.
I quickly withdrew (I mean, what if he was also related to Mighty Mouse! Perhaps he could fly! I didn't particularly want a faceful of flying rodent), and decided to shut him in the closet until the time that I was willing to deal with the problem. I shut the door and crawled back into my bed, nestling confidently back into my pillow, and......there was another rustle. And this time, it was a chewing rustle.
My brand-new luggage.
I flew from my bed back across the room to the closet and ripped the door open. I grabbed each piece of my luggage from the bottom of my closet, and carried them out into the middle of my floor. After shaking and checking for stowaways, I securely zipped each one, confident that I had outwitted that obnoxious little mouse at last.
Apparently not.
I guess he was storing something in my suitcases because he followed them out into the middle of the room. I was shocked and could not help but admire his dedication - here he was, risking mousey life and limb to follow the garbage he had just 15 minutes ago stored in my bags into the middle of a room - where there was no cover at all! Wow! I thought. How brazen! How daring! How brave! He's quite the little guy. I was just starting to be amazed and amused when I remembered - he was trying to chew a hole in my brand-new luggage. Isn't it amazing how quickly we can change our opinions?
To make a long story short (too late), I finally lured the little irritant outside, secured a mouse repellant and considered the adventures of SpiderMouse in my room to be a closed chapter.
And yet, not so much.
Janie (the Korean girl living with us) discovered she had been visited by a phantom mouse about a week ago. Thinking myself safe from such furry devils, I was confident that we would be able to get rid of her mouse with little influence on me - after all, I had the handy-dandy and oh-so-reliable mouse deterrant.....not only that, but I keep my door closed in hopes to discourage intruders (the furry ones without thumbs). It was working fairly well - not sight nor sound of any furry visitors.
Until Art bug-bombed the downstairs and left my door wide open.
The last two mornings, I have discovered signs of mouse....suspiciously similar to those of SpiderMouse. He had a thing with my garbage - bringing wrappers out into the middle of my floor. I have found wrappers once again....of mini Reese's Peanut Butter cups, which I haven't bought since - April. Hmm.
SpiderMouse returns.

Drat.

5 comments:

Megs said...

That is not fun! I do however love how you create very funny stories out of little things in life. :)

a.matson said...

Ahh.....thank you!

Amy said...

What a fantastic story Lysie! Quite unfortunate but also quite hilarious.

RachelRenae said...

SpiderMouse, SpiderMouse, doing all the things that a SpiderMouse can... and yet, shouldn't be able to do.

Anonymous said...

A fcaefull of flying mouse?! I can't even tell you how much that made my day.