Thursday, September 18, 2008

Chili Chocolate

I have recently (as in, like last night) discovered an ingenius and delicious way of keeping myself from gorging on dark chocolate. As most of you might know, dark chocolate is my happy place, my palatable pleasure, my kryptonite. I have had to stop buying large amounts (you know, like those huge bags of yumminess that they sell at WalMart. My favorite is the dark chocolate M&Ms - if you pop them in the freezer, they make heavenly nibbles of rich, delectable chocolate wonderful for eating when you're hot) so that I don't turn into Jerry the Gourd. However, I have a confession - I bought some chocolate yesterday.
Gasp! I know! I swore I wouldn't, and I did! (However, I did buy many other things I was not intending on as well....not sure how that makes it any better, now that I think about it.) Here's the scenario: Ellen and I were shopping at WalMart for posterboard....a simple thing, right? Quick in and out. It should've been. Next thing I know we were laughing at the makeup, shopping for hair products (which I really did not need), and then - land of forbidden pleasures - the candy isle. Yes - in the chocolate section! In my defense, it really was not my fault or my idea that we were there. She wanted to pick up a nice gift to thank the family that will be hosting us while we are in VA. Everyone (pretty much) likes chocolate, right? (And those that don't, I pity. Poor people. *sigh* Oh well - more chocolate for me!) So, we spent some time searching for that classy and sophisticated box of yumminess. We finally found it - unfortunately for me, next to the very reasonably priced (it was on sale) dark chocolate. Not even the M&Ms - but the gourmet dark chocolate. For $2! How could I resist? Besides, it sparked my interest - I had never before seen Chili Chocolate. I had heard about the Aztecs using the combination, and I had always wanted to try it. And here it was - staring me in the face. Let me ask you....would you have done any differently?
I tried some this morning. How can I describe it? It is beyond words - like nothing I've ever tasted before. The rich dark chocolate and its subtle sweetness is enhanced marvelously by the gentle burn of the chili. And, since it is only appropriate to savor the dark chocolate (not chew it), you can feel the tinge from the chili even after the chocolate is gone. At first I wasn't sure if I actually liked it....then I decided - yes....yes, I do. Very much indeed. And this brilliant piece of confectionary science will keep me from gorging on chocolate because if I do, the gentle warmth of the chili may just turn into a fire burning my throat that is less than delicious or enjoyable. And yet, I still get to enjoy my dark chocolate. Brilliant, I say - brilliant!
So, if you are interested in exploring the wonders the chocolate industry has produced and are looking for something spicy, may I recommend Lindt's Chili Dark Chocolate bar....available in your local WalMart.

P.S. And I'd like to say - how cool is God? He created two completely different, (and at first glance) completely contrary ingredients; yet when put together, they create a extraordinary taste experience. Only our creative God could do something like that - and inspire humans to try it. Kinda like how He takes people - perhaps people from different cultures - but when united by their love for Him....no matter how different they may be, they create a beautiful and unique family. That's way too cool, God!

3 comments:

RachelRenae said...

Chili Chocolate is my favorite thing ever. Favorite. Thing. EVER. There... there are no words.

a.matson said...

Yay! Someone else that understands fully the joy!

Anonymous said...

Wow... you are the high brow to my low brow. I bow to you. Ps I'll send you new zealand Chili Chocolate. I know, i rock.