As almost all of you know, this last Thursday a very large and determined snowstorm hit the Denver area, delivering quite challenging conditions. We recieved about two and half feet of snow at our house, and the rest of the city also was blessed with a fair amount. Visibility was horrendous, and the roads were worse. And can I just say, I loved it.
Since it was a Thursday, I had classes to attend, and I was determined to try and get to school. When I woke up that morning, there was nothing to excite alarm or even to give me a really good reason to consider playing hooky, except for the newsmen's (rather, newspeople...I apologize) fatalistic forecast of snow doom and destruction. (But this is CO...how often are they wrong? More than they'd like to be, I'm sure.) Since there was nothing really to keep me from going, I decided I ought to try. After all, I could always come home if the conditions got really bad. So I set off. As I was leaving the mountain, a few beautiful fluffy flakes were gliding down from the sky - certainly nothing like the blizzard they were predicting.
However, as I pulled onto Santa Fe, the sky before me grew black and ominous. Since I had come this far, I thought, I might as well get gas. After all, it never hurts to be prepared. And so I continued. The closer I got to the city, the worse conditions got. By the time I reached the gas station, I decided that school was so not worth this. So, with a call to Daddy (who was working from home that day in respect of the forecast) and a flutter of excitement in my heart, I let him know I was on my way home. I was about to experience my first snow day in several years!
I feel like I've undergone a rite of passage....I drove home in heavy weather conditions, and I didn't even slide or spin once! YAY!!! Sing it with me now - "I'm a big kid now!"
And may I say - even when you're in college, snow days ROCK!!!
Monday, March 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Yay for snow days!!! I have not had a snow day in many many years, (one of the downers of homeschooling) I do hope you at least entertained the idea of snowmen and angels... :) love ya!
Not to mention that only a few hours later I almost did not make it home except for the love of my hubby plowing the road all the way to 67. Safe a secure, with a fire, and hot chocolate, I agree even when you are an adult "Snow days rock!"
I was on spring break anyway. but it was still quite lovely.
Post a Comment