Thursday, October 23, 2008

How much is that puppy in the window? The one with the waggly tail......

It seems the time of my great solitude has arrived. Okay - well, not officially. Ellen leaves on Friday for TN, then Art leaves on Monday for KY. They return on Thursday to spend one short night here, and then onto Asia. And I am left alone.....all alone.
Well, not all alone. There's still Coco (but that's not really much of a consolation. Though he constantly wears a scowl - with the exception of when he's begging food and trying to look cute - I doubt that he would be a good guardcat or even a decent conversationalist), and yet, I am still filled with a feeling of loneliness. Weird.
I was expecting to be totally and completely thrilled to have the house to myself for two whole weeks in November. (I'll be in VA for the middle part, but I have a week before I leave and a week when I return.) And now that it's here, all I can think about is getting through it without adopting something. My daddy said absolutely no way to a dog, which would be my first choice, but I'm obedient. So I'm thinking a cat - one of those breeds that acts like a dog; like a Maine Coon or Himalayan. After all, he didn't mention anything about cats.
Like I said, they haven't left yet, but have been running errands everyday all day for the past couple of days, so it's given me a taste of what's to come. Who woulda thought I - me, of all people - would be seeking companionship when I have the opportunity to be totally and completely....alone. Last night I dreamed that I went to PetsMart and found a tabby cat that looked like she needed a new home. I'm halfway tempted.
So I sit - reading animals books, dreaming up names for pets I can't have right now, and trying to figure out a way that I could actually support one.
I can now relate to that anonymous but timeless poet who penned the words.....
How much is that doggy in the window?
The one with the waggly tail?
La la la la la la la la
La la la la la la la la!*

Never has such profound pain and longing been so aptly translated into song. I feel your pain, man.

*These are the lines that I cannot - for the life of me - remember. So I'm improvising.

3 comments:

Megs said...

I think is goes something like

How much is that doggy in the window?
The one with the waggly tail?
How much is that doggy in the window?
I wonder if that doggie is for sale.

I hope u don't get to lonely! Loves!

a.matson said...

Ah ha! The mystery has been solved! Thank you! That would've driven me nuts

RachelRenae said...

you should change the words to fit your hope of a feline companion- although dogs are infinitely better... if you must settle for a cat, I understand.