I have learned a very valuable lesson this week. It is one that I suppose I should've learned long ago (and truth be told, I thought I had). It is the valuable lesson of knowing when something is too heavy for one to lift by oneself.
I can hear you all groaning and grimacing in the backround. Yes, that's right - weight and gravity are muscles worst enemies. (I can the more groans....I hope this blog post won't be too painful for you all.:)) So this is how it happened.
We had a huge TV that Ellen decided should go to the church - after all, we really don't need it here. I'm not quite sure how she got it into the back of the car in the first place, but whatever the case, after two weeks of riding around in the backseat like a grossly (and I mean grossly) overweight toddler, it was time to transfer this deadweight into the church. My thinking is that she must have had some strong men move it to the car. Now there were only three of us females.
The original thought was that all three of us would carry it together, shuffling down the hall and possibly tripping one another in the process. The church's halls are not particularly narrow, but narrow enough that it would have been tricky trying to get all three of us plus a large TV through two sets of doors and down a less-than straight passage. I could just see the fiasco in my mind's eye as Ellen and Jenny started trying to figure out how to get the stupid thing out of the car in the first place. I decided to bite the bullet. "Here, just let me try to do this by myself."
Have stupider words ever been spoken?
They both tried to dissuade me (ah, intelligent females), but alas - I had decided. Surely this would be the easier way. So I hoisted the very heavy TV into my arms, and moving as swiftly and surely as I could, I maneuvered through the obstacle course that is the church hallway to the table that is the TV's final resting place (as far as I'm concerned). Deed done, we left.
The next morning, my left shoulder was understandably sore. But not more than I would expect. And so, I seized the moment, and went to ride horses. My dear surrogate horse had not been ridden for a while and was truly feeling his oats. His favorite thing to do was argue about going to the left. Well, I'm the rider - he has to do as I say; I have to make sure of it. So I did.
I'm thinking now that I ought to have let him have his way, just this once.
Jenny was sweet enough to massage my shoulder yesterday evening. We both think that I have sprained it. She has given me strict orders that I am not to lift anything heavy by myself for a while. And now I am doing my very best to remember that even the simplest, usual things in my day are not a possibility for my left side at the moment.
She-woman has learned her lesson.
Stupid TV.
Saturday, October 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Let's be honest, any one of us Rollert girls would have done EXACTLY the same thing in that situation. Actually, I hurrah'd a little bit when you said, "Let me just try this by myself."
*fist pump*
Post a Comment